5 June 2018 – World Environment Day
Beginning in 1974, World Environment day is currently celebrated in over 100 countries. It’s a day for the people, to play their part in helping the environment. Each year there is a host country and a theme. This year, India is the host country. 2018’s theme is seen to be one that is needing a lot of attention lately, beating plastic pollution!
Last year on my trip to Bali, while swimming in the ocean in a remote part of one of the islands, I was so upset to see how much plastic there was. It was floating around everywhere. How did it even end up there?
Did you know that eight million tonnes of plastic makes its way into the sea every year?
What Can You Do To Make A Difference?
Below are some of my tips for helping to beat plastic pollution. In no means am I innocent when it comes to plastic usage but it is something I’m trying to work on. Small, conscious changes make a big difference in the end.
Two things I’m really trying to concentrate on is straws and coffee cups. I’m getting in the habit of saying no to straws at restaurants and I’m trying to remember to pack my own reusable coffee cup in my car for when I’m out and about.
5 Ways To Beat Plastic Pollution
1) Refuse the straw. Use a glass; metal; bamboo; paper straw if needed
2) Ditch the takeaway coffee cups. Try pack your own reusable coffee cup for when you’re on the go.
3) Buy a glass water bottle. Glass is so much healthier for you and 100% recyclable.
4) Find out where you can recycle your plastic. You’ll be shocked at how much plastic you actually use every day
5) Use reusable shopping bags. Another thing I’m trying to get better at.