Earth Day 22 April 2012
I will be 100% honest with you, before I started The Glam Green Girl less than a year ago, I didn’t even know about Earth Day. But that’s the beauty of this blog – not only am I informing others, but I myself, am learning so much along this journey.
But lets get back to Earth Day – write it down in your diary – 22 April.
|“. . . on April 22, 1970, Earth Day was held, one of the most
remarkable happenings in the history of democracy. . . ”
-American Heritage Magazine, October 1993
Earth day is a day dedicated each year to raising awareness about environmental issues. It began in the year 1970 and was created by Gaylord Nelson, a United States Senator from Wisconsin. Senator Nelson called for an environmental teach-in, or Earth Day, to be held on April 22, 1970. Over 20 million people participated that year, and this Earth Day is now observed on April 22 each year by more than 500 million people and several national governments in 175 countries. Environmental groups have sought to make Earth Day into a day of action which changes human behavior and provokes policy changes.
So what are you going to do to celebrate Earth Day?
Here are some ideas for you:
1) Take a walk, enjoy the beauty that nature has to offer while soaking up some free Vitamin D
2) Pick up a great green read. “The Lorax,” “Seeds of Change,” “The Giving Tree,” “An Inconvenient Truth.” (or download it on your Kindle to save paper)
3) Plant a garden: why not grow your own herbs? or your own vegetables? How great to know that they would be truly organic and grown with love?
4)Start recycling! Its never to late to start
5) Learn more about the environment. Earth Day is a good time to make a commitment to learning more about the environment and how you can help to protect it.
6) In the Southern Johannesburg area? Join Miss Earth South Africa as they clean up! check out their website here
7) Go through your closet: swap clothes with friends. See what you can add to clothes, like buttons to update its look. Or give to those who are in need
8) In Palm Beach, Florida? Why not stop by Norton Museum of Art and check out the Garbage Gone Glam Eco Fashion Show? click here for more details
Hope that this inspires you to do something for Earth Day. However, don’t restrict yourself to only one day a year – Make everyday Earth Day!
Leave a comment saying what you’re doing for Earth day, I would love to know 🙂
Wishing you all a Glam and Green Earth Day
The Glam Green Girl